Today is the day that Christmas gets real. You’ve opened the first door on your advent calendar, it is officially ok to have a Christmas tree up and pretty much every store in the UK will be blasting out Christmas songs. But for the first time December 1st is more than opening up your advent calendar, this year it is also Giving Tuesday.
Created by our good friends the US of A, Giving Tuesday is the first Tuesday after all the madness of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. A day designed to make you think about giving back. Which so happens, this year, to land on December 1st.
So today is a global day of giving, whether that’s time, money or just voicing support for a good cause; this is the day to kick off the Christmas season in the right spirit. But not all of us have time or money to give, so we thought we’ll make a list of all the things that you can give this month (or forever, you don’t have to stop at the end of December) that can make a difference.
We promise they’re easy! Made to fit around school, homework and life.
40 Radom Acts of Kindness for Giving Tuesday
1. Make a cup of tea for someone
2. Open the door for someone
3. Help your brother or sister with their homework
4. Smile at people
5. Leave a nice note for your parents
6. Re-use your water bottle (the environment will appreciate it)
7. Take your dog for a longer walk
8. Sit with someone who is eating alone at school
9. Clean out your wardrobe and donate the unwanted clothes to charity
10. Vacuum the house
11. Tidy your room (automatic bonus points)
12. Help your parents with dinner
13. Send a funny Lens Snap to a friend you haven’t snapped in a while
14. Say “good morning” and “thank you” to bus drivers
15. Make a playlist for a friend, just coz
16. Hug someone you love like you mean it
17. Write a positive comment on a blog or vlog
18. Smile at 10 strangers
19. Arrive on time
20. Pay attention in your worst class (you can do it for just one day!)
21. Put post-it notes with inspirational quotes on the mirrors in the toilets
22. Tweet, Facebook Message or Instagram comment a genuine compliment to three people
23. When everyone around you is gossiping about someone, be the one to say something nice
24. Don’t interrupt when someone is speaking (there are very few people who can do this)
25. Call your grandparents. Call them!
26. Write something nice on the person who is always posting on Facebook, they’re probably lonely
27. Compliment someone in front of your friends
28. Give up your seat to someone, anyone, on the bus, tube or tram
29. Wash someone’s car
30. Dog or cat sit for a neighbor
31. Help someone struggling with heavy bags
32. Do the dishes
34. Give someone your pack of gum
35. Make plans with that person you’ve been putting off seeing
36. Spend time with your parents
37. Forgive someone, and never bring up the issue again
38. Ask a shop assistant how their day is going
39. Really listen to someone
40. When you hear that negative, discouraging voice in your head, remember to leave yourself alone – you deserve kindness too!