Half Term Tips: Things to do on a budget – Jasmine, NCS Grad
If, like me, you’re a sixth form student, the half term can’t come quickly enough. A whole week without having to analyse poetry or dissect a pig’s heart sounds heavenly, and much needed. But sometimes you may not be able to afford to go on a shopping spree, or eat out everyday with your friends and that’s okay. There are still plenty of things you can do to get the most out of your well deserved break for a low cost.
Here are some ideas for things to do in the half term without spending a fortune:
1. Round up your friends and play some sports (You don’t have to be an athlete or a pro footballer to enjoy this!)
My friend and I were sitting in my garden on an afternoon in August last year, it was the end of the month and we’d both spent all of our wages. We ended up rummaging through my garden shed and pulling out two battered tennis rackets, so we decided to use them; we ended up playing tennis for hours on the beach near my house (if having a competition to see who could aimlessly whack the ball the furthest counts as a game of tennis!).
2. Have a complete wardrobe clear-out!
Take some bin liners and bag up all of your unwanted clothes. When you’re done, donate them to your local charity shop.
3. Speaking of charity, volunteer!
Charity shops are always looking for volunteers. This way, you can cure your boredom whilst doing something amazing to help those in need. You don’t have to spend a penny and it’s great work experience. (I’m an Oxfam volunteer myself, I’ve met some lovely people, and it looks great on my CV.)
4. Take some time to focus on your mental and physical health
College is stressful for everyone, so after a long term of working hard and meeting deadlines it may be time to give your mind and body a little relief. Go on a bike ride, on a run, or just a brisk walk with your doggo.
Maybe have a no-junk-food day! Detox your body with fresh fruits, veggies and water. Try meditation or yoga to relax your mind (I recommend the ‘10% Happier’ app for meditation, and the ‘Nike Training Club’ app for various other workouts).
5. Enjoy a movie day at home – either with friends or by yourself
Grab your tracksuit bottoms, your favourite snacks and have an all-day Netflix binge! Here’s what I recommend you watch this half-term:
My favourite series:
- The Vampire Diaries (2009-2017) Sci-Fi, Romantic, Action
- White Collar (2014) Action, Crime
- The Assassination Of Gianni Versace (2018) Crime, Thriller, True-story based
You’ve gotta watch these films:
- The Hangover: Parts II & III (2009 - 2013) Comedy, Dark Comedy
- Bandersnatch (2019) Interactive, Psychological Thriller
- What Happened To Monday? (2017) Sci-Fi, Action
So whether you’re treating yourself to a shopping trip or making memories on a budget, remember to relax, treat yourself and most importantly, have fun!