We're hiring an Accounts Junior
Accounts Junior (Internship)
Organisation and Programme
National Citizen Service (NCS) is a once in a lifetime experience for 16 and 17 year olds – they take part in outdoor activities, meet new people and have the chance to give something back to their communities. Through NCS, their confidence grows as they learn new skills that they can put on CVs and university and college applications.
NCS runs across England in the summer and during academic breaks in autumn and spring. It is a flagship voluntary programme for 16 and 17 year olds, which aims to create:
- A more engaged society – by enabling young people to work together on social action projects in and with their communities
- A more cohesive society – by mixing young people of different genders, places, ethnicities, religions, abilities, and socio-economic and educational backgrounds with each other and older generations
- A more responsible society – by supporting young people’s transition to adulthood through personal social development, challenging activities and guided reflection.
NCS Trust is a non-profit community interest company that exists to shape, support, champion and lead a thriving National Citizen Service. We are working to make NCS available to every 16 and 17 year old in England, and more than 100,000 young people have taken part in NCS so far.
This is a Junior role required during an extremely high level of growth for the organisation and therefore the Finance Department. This is an opportunity to learn about the day-to-day activities within finance, from processing invoices to understanding how the finance function works on a high level within the business. It is also a role that will develop working relationships across the various departments of the organisation.
The Accounts Junior will:
- Maintain the filing system of Purchase invoices and Bank Statements
- Enter Purchase Orders to the Purchase Order Register and ensure correct approvals are received by staff before accepting new orders
- Become familiar with Budget codes in order to check accuracy of Purchase Orders.
- Be comfortable with querying Budget codes with the Finance Controller/Finance Director
- Create & maintain Customer & Supplier records and the Chart of Accounts in the Accounting System
- Receive all Purchase Invoices from suppliers (via email and post) and establish a professional relationship with external suppliers
- Maintain accurate electronic records of all Purchase invoices
- Process Purchase Invoices by matching to Purchase Orders and obtaining correct sign-off from relevant budget holder/PO Author
- Assist the Financial Accountant in processing BACS payments on HSBCnet and entering to Navision
- Check Credit Card statements to receipts and prepare for review
- Become familiar with the staff expense policy
- Check all staff travel expenses from claim form to receipt
- Process train travel with the assistance of the Office Assistant
- Open Finance-related post and distribute accordingly
- Scanning, photocopying and filing as and when required
- Support the Finance Team in any ad hoc tasks that may arise from time to time
- Strong Interest in Finance and Business
- Basic knowledge and experience of working with Microsoft Excel
- Experience of being organised and prioritising various tasks
- Good team player
Skills & Attributes
- Enthusiastic and willing to learn
- Good organisational skills
- Able to respond to concise instructions, adapt to changes in a fast paced environment and manage competing demands
- Friendly personality but ability to communicate concisely
- A quick thinker, proactive and strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Good Excel Skills & Systems literacy
- Inquisitive mind and feels comfortable asking questions
- You will be dealing with sensitive information, so discretion is important in this role
Offer type: This is a full-time, fixed-term contract of 6 months.
Remuneration: The salary for this role is £17,843 per annum (pro-rata). Additional benefits are 25 days annual leave (pro-rata) and gym membership.
Location: The role is based in West London.
How to apply: Please send your CV to email@example.com. Your covering email should:
- Make clear the role you are applying for
- Outline how you satisfy the specific Experience and Skills & Attributes elements we list above
- Say what attracts you to us and this role
The deadline for applications is 5th February 2016.